Pages

Friday, July 31, 2015

The Ketogenic Lifestyle

Over the years I've learned the best weight loss strategies are the ones that stand the test of time. Also those that are adaptable to your everyday life. Currently I'm on the ketogenic weight-loss plan and I call this a plan because it's more of a lifestyle than a quick fix.   What lead me here were bouts of severe intestinal cramping, heart issues, diabetes, and trying to conceive. I eventually became fed up and discouraged because I had no insurance, and could not afford another large medical bill. Also I was tired of feeling sick. After careful research and consideration I chose this program. I will admit I'm not a professional, and everyone approaches this weight-loss strategy a little differently. 

The first two months of the program were all about trial and error. Although my weight-loss was slow I genuinely felt better. Within a month I had no more intestinal bleeding, my heart issues subsided, and my blood sugars were almost back to normal. What finally kick started my weight-loss was a great website called ruled.me.  The website does provide a keto calculator and I would definitely suggest purchasing a body fast percentage device to get your most accurate macros. For those wondering: Macros are what percentage of fat, protein, and carbohydrates you consume a day. Furthermore how many calories you take in which is determined by your height, weight, body fat percentage, and activity level. Once I calculated my macros I discovered  I was never starved or hungry and by the third week I had an abundance of energy. 
I feel like a lot of people have the misconception "I get to eat all the fat and calories I want!" This is wrong and if you have that mindset I would suggest not going on this plan. I typically stay between 1200-1500 calories a day. I eat 113 grams of fat,  97 grams of protein, and always stay between 20-30 grams of carbs per day. 

Any who that's all for now. I'll be posting my favorite tips and tricks for long term success in another post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment